As the winter weather slowly exits and spring creeps in, Valley County is preparing for what could potentially be a great tourism season.
Despite the COVID pandemic during 2020, there was still plenty for adventurers looking for a weekend get away to do in Valley County. The 2020 lodging tax numbers are proof of this. In 2019, $28,690 were collected in lodging tax. In 2020, $31,204 were collected in lodging tax. This increase came as a pleasant surprise due to the fact that all large in-person gatherings were not possible because of state-wide directed health measures. The only explanation for this increase would be the extensive amount of outdoor recreation and wide open spaces in Valley County. There’s no need to worry about keeping 6 feet of distance when you’re exploring the many lakes and rivers, enjoying the green scene, observing and identifying the wildlife, or counting bright constellations in dark skies.
As COVID cases continue to decline, Valley County Tourism prepares to capitalize on what is sure to be another great tourist season. Many attractions and activities have begun preparing for an influx of visitors. There are many incredible events in Valley County, including:
- Nebraska Grown Arts Festival: Beginning April 17, 2021, celebrate local artists at the historic Golden Husk Theatre. Take part in artistic workshops, take a gallery tour or shop goods from local artists at the many downtown districts in Valley County. Finish the day with live music by Josh Hoyer & Soul Colossal. To learn more, visit www.goldenhuskarts.org.
- Memorial Day weekend: Visit one of many Veteran’s Memorial Walls in Valley County or simply enjoy the outdoors at the Veteran’s Memorial Grounds.
- The Fabulous Accordion Festival: On May 30th, stop by The Golden Husk to enjoy live music that is full of tradition. Dance, sing , and tap your toes to the best accordion music around with Laddie Bruha and Friends while celebrating our strong heritage and culture. Learn more about this event at www.goldenhuskarts.org
- Comstock Windmill Festival: Enjoy top county acts the the 2021 Comstock Windmill festival June 10-12, 2021. For information on lineup and tickets, visit www.windmillfestival.com
- Father’s Day Rod Run: If you love classic cars, then you won’t want to miss this 45th Annual Rod Run Festivities on June 19-20th. To learn more, visit www.ordcarclub.com
- Stars and Stripes Concert: Join The Golden Husk for a patriotic concert on the courthouse square in honor of the USA and all who have served our country on July 2, 2021.
- Sidewalk Sales: Don’t miss the great deals from area businesses at the end of July. For up to date information, visit www.ordnebraska.com.
- Valley County Fair: Enjoy many activities at the Valley County Fair on August 1-7, 2021. For up to date information, visit www.valleycountyfairgrounds.com.
- National Night Out: If you love block parties, then don’t miss this community event on August 3, 2021.
- North Loup Popcorn Days: Did you know the longest running festival take place in Valley County? And it celebrates POPCORN! Make plans to come to North Loup for Popcorn Days in August 2021. For up to date information, visit www.popcorndays.org
- Arcadia Fall Festival: Kick off the harvest season at the Arcadia Fall Festival Labor Day weekend.
- Nebraska’s Junk Jaunt: Find treasures in one of the many Junk Jaunt stops in Valley County on September 24-26, 2021. To pre-order your shopper’s guide, visit www.junkjaunt.com.
- Elyria Pumpkin Festival: Kick of “spooky season” at the Elyria Pumpkin Festival the first Saturday in October.
- Connecting Young Nebraskans: This large networking conference is making its way to Ord on October 21-22, 2021. To learn more, visit www.connectingyoungnebraskans.weebly.com
- WinterFest & Small Business Saturday: Support local businesses while enjoying holiday themed activities the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Come for the festivities and shopping, but stay for the incredible WinterFest parade.
Interested in visiting Valley County? Continue to browse Valley County Tourism’s new website for up to date events and lodging information. Still have questions? Give our office at call at (308) 728-7875.
We hope you find your fun in Valley County.